Mittwoch, 18. April 2012

Erasmus Darwin


Soon shall thy arm, UNCONQUER'D STEAM! afar
Drag the slow barge, or drive the rapid car;
Or on wide-waving wings expanded bear
The flying-chariot through the fields of air.
—Fair crews triumphant, leaning from above,
Shall wave their fluttering kerchiefs as they move;
Or warrior-bands alarm the gaping crowd,
And armies shrink beneath the shadowy cloud.

Das schreibt Erasmus Darwin, der Großvater von Charles Darwin in seinem langen zweiteiligen Lehrgedicht ➱The Botanic Garden. Mit einem Stil, den Wordsworth dazzling fand, Coleridge dagegen hatte nur den Satz I absolutely nauseate Darwin's poem dafür übrig. Wir sind noch im 18. Jahrhundert, und der Dichter, Arzt und Naturforscher Erasmus Darwin (der heute vor 210 Jahren starb) hat gerade das Automobil und das Flugzeug erfunden. Auf jedem Fall auf dem Papier.

Das verlangt ja geradezu nach einem Auto-Gedicht. Es gab hier schon einige, wie Cummings' ➱she being brand, Staffords ➱Travelling through the Dark und Karl Shapiros Gedichte ➱Auto Wreck und Buick. Alles kulturell hochstehende Gedichte, aber ich dachte mir, es müsse jetzt etwas aus der Popular Culture her. Ein Text, der nicht mehr die Vision des 18. Jahrhunderts ist, sondern die traurige Realität. Ein Gedicht oder ein Song, in dem nur der tägliche Ärger des Autofahrers drin steht - ich habe nämlich gestern getankt. Und da fiel mir Jerry Reeds ➱Lord, Mr Ford ein. Genau genommen ist der Song nicht von Jerry Reed, der Country-Sänger ist nur damit bekannt geworden. Geschrieben hat den Song Dick Feller, das weiß ich, weil mein Freund Georg mir mal vor Jahrzehnten eine Dick Feller Platte geschenkt hat.

Es ist ein weiter Weg von Erasmus Darwin bis zu dem Country-Sänger Jerry Reed, aber es liegen erstaunlicherweise nur zweihundert Jahre dazwischen. Ob Darwin und die Mitglieder der fortschrittsgläubigen ➱Lunar Society (der auch ➱Benjamin Franklin angehörte) heute mit dem glücklich wären, was aus ihren Visionen geworden ist?

Lord, Mr Ford

Well, if you're one of the millions who own one of them gas-drinking, piston-clinking, air-polluting, smoke-belching, four-wheeled buggies from Detroit City, then pay attention. I'm about to sing your song son.

Well, I'm not a man appointed judge
To bear ill-will and hold a grudge
But I think it's time I said me a few choice words
All about that demon automobile
A metal box with the polyglass wheel
The end result to a dream of Henry Ford
Well I've got a car that's mine alone
That me and the finance company own
A ready-made pile of manufactured grief
And if I ain't out of gas in the pouring rain
I'm a-changin' a flat in a hurricane
I once spent three days lost on a cloverleaf
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam
That makes me the bitter fool I am
But this four-wheel buggy is
A-dollaring me to death
For gas and oils and fluids and grease
And wires and tires and anti freeze
And them accessories
Well honey, that's something else
Well you can get a stereo tape and a color TV
Get a back-seat bar and reclining seats
And just pay once a month, like you do your rent
Well I figured it up and over a period of time
This four thousand dollar car of mine
Costs fourteen thousand dollars
And ninety-nine cents, well now
{Chorus}:
Lord Mr. Ford, I just wish that you could see
What your simple horseless carriage has become
Well it seems your contribution to man
To say the least, got a little out of hand
Well Lord Mr. Ford what have you done 

Now the average American father and motherOwn one whole car and half another
And I bet that half a car is a
Trick to buy, don't you
But the thing that amazes me, I guess
Is the way we measure a man's success
By the kind of automobile he can afford to buy
Well now, red light, green light, traffic cop
Right turn, no turn, must turn, stop
Get out the credit card honey, we're out of gas
Well now, all the cars placed end to end
Would reach to the moon and back again
And there'd probably be some
Fool pull out to pass
Well now, how I yearn for the good old days
Without that carbon monoxide haze
A-hanging over the roar of the interstate
Well if the Lord that made the moon and stars
Would have meant for me and you to have cars
He'd have seen that we was all born
With a parking space
{Chorus}
Come away with me Lucille
In my smoking, choking automobile
Lord Mr Ford

Und natürlich sollten Sie sich unbedingt hier ➱Jerry Reed anhören

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen